Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
My new album, Joss Whedon Kind Of Really Sucks and Even Though I Have and May Continue to Enjoy Some of His Shows or Aspects of His Shows That Doesn’t Mean That I Don’t Need To Recognize How They Have A Lot of Problematic Elements, is coming out next week!
It’ll feature such hits as:
- "The Origin Story of the Slayers is What Now?”
- "There’s A Spirit Journey And The Spirit Guide Is Offensive, This Whole Episode Is Offensive"
- "The Black Man Is The Villain Part Eins"
- "The Black Man Is The Villain Part Deux: Wait, So The Twist Is The Black Guy Was the Villain All Along?"
- "Was That Part With Spike And Buffy At The End Of Season Six Really Necessary. Could Spikes Character Development Not Be Achieved Some Other Way."
- "Dude Your Stories Have A Lot of Rape And Sexual Assault In Them."
- "I Guess Every Asian Actor In North America Was On Holiday For The Entirety Of The Filming Of Firefly Because There Sure Are A Lot Of Not Chinese People In This Chinese-American Culture."
- "Dude Your Stories Have A Lot of Rape And Sexual Assault In Them Reprise: Seriously Even Narratives Where Actual Physical Sexual Assault Is Absent Definitely Have This Sort of Undertone Its Creepy"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part One: Season Two Of Buffy"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Two: Faith"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Three: Of Course The Sex Worker Has A Secret Fatal Illness"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Four: Penny Hecks A Dude, Penny Bites the Dust"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Five: Like Going Back To Inara There’s A High Sex Worker Body Count In General"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Six: I’m Sure There’s Plenty Of This In Dollhouse But I Can’t Even Parse It All Right Now"
- "A Lot Of Stories End With Women Getting Punished For Having Sex Part Seven: Lesbian Death In The Bedroom And You"
- "Why Does The Black Slayer Have That Accent Also Why Does She Die?"
- "The Origin Story Of The Slayers Is What Now? Reprise: Say That Again About Sierra’s Origin Story Cause I Don’t Think I Heard You Quite Right.”
And of course, the hit classic,
- "You Know, When I First Watched This I Found It Empowering, But Looking Back That Was Just Because It Was All I Had: We Have To Go Begging For Scraps and That’s Why He’s Been Able To Seem So Progressive For So Long"
The hit classic!
as a poc adoptee, let me tell you there is no better way to start your day than having to argue publicly with your white adoptive mom about whether or not the racism you experienced is valid.
I didn’t realize how strong and thick my armor against racism had grown until the day I realized I didn’t have it anymore. We were parking outside the Seward Cafe, and a man walked right up to our car and said, “Chinaman, This is my country!” and although I used to be able to just brush it off by thinking, “What a crazy freak!” this time I could not because I have lived 9 years in Korea without people being racist against me (although they are to other people), and because of that I have lost my skills to deal with street racism, and those words hurt just as much as they did when I was a kid, before I had accumulated 30 years’ worth of armor and mental acrobatics to protect myself from everyday life. This happened the day after I got my receipt checked at the door at Walmart and my bag emptied to make sure I wasn’t stealing anything, which was the day after exactly the same thing happened at exactly the same Walmart. Living with discrimination erodes a little bit of your human dignity every day. The fact that we need so much armor to get through the day, and that we have to teach our children to act for the sake of safety rather than the sake of their dignity, and the fact that if I had a child, my child would have seen me targeted and humiliated rather than talk back to that man because I was concerned for my safety — makes me so, so angry.
a thread soon formed with people adding their own experiences with racism. and i added my own comments with some of my experiences with racism growing up in the states, including a reference to a racist question that my uncle (mom’s younger brother) used to ask me every time i saw him:
i remember kids (and even a TENURED PROF AT MY UNIVERSITY) making gibberish noises imitating what they thought asian languages sounded like, yelling at me to go back to my country, pulling back their eyes at me, i had my own uncle asking me where he could “get two little girls like you” every time i saw him, i had people asking me if my vagina was sideways way before i even understood what that could even mean, i had people giving me weird “compliments” like “pretty as a lotus flower” or crap like that, people asking me if i was chinese or japanese, which was still better than the many people who called me a chink and jap. my sister said she had a little girl follow her into a bathroom stall to see if hers was the same… this is just off the top of my head. (and for reference, i lived in maryland, tennessee, indiana, and illinois)
i should mention that i’ve already written (here) about my uncle and his insistence on asking me this question every time i’ve seen him and how i was finally able to tell him to get stuffed at the age of 30.
what is not included in that previous post is that even AFTER that visit when i made my displeasure with my uncle’s question clear, my mom asked my uncle to repeat it in front of jinwoo (as a cute family story!) on my next visit when i went with him to the US and he met my family for the first time. this is how oblivious my white parents are to racism and their dismissive attitude toward my clear expressions of boundaries as it relates to race.
so after i brought it up again in that comment, my mom responds:
Ur uncle loves u and he was never making fun of u.
i think carefully for a full twelve minutes on how to respond. i am basically boiling angry at this point, but part of me thinks i should address this privately, not publicly. but i decide no. i can’t just allow this to stand publicly. i’m tired of being the accommodating one, it has clearly gotten me nowhere so far. still, in an act of enormous restraint, i only answer:
how do you still not recognize that as racist?
to which my mom responds, flat-out:
It was never racist.
oh ok, thank you white mom for invalidating my feelings on the racism that i experienced. this time i think for a good thirty minutes. i do not want to publicly thrash my mom but i have made my decisions about not continuing to sugarcoat discussions with race with my family anymore. and i answer:
mom, i’m not going to keep arguing with you about this publicly. if you don’t think that was racist then that’s deeply frustrating. did he ever ask that question to anyone else but sharon and me? (i.e. my white brothers and sisters) no. does that mean i think he’s a horrible person and i hate him? no. does it mean i’m going to pretend it wasn’t racist and humiliating every time i heard it? not any more.
no word from her (either publicly or privately) since then. my guess is that she is feeling sorry for herself and won’t initiate contact for awhile. still trying to decide if i should call or text her for the holidays.
you handled this beautifully. big props.
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
I love how whites will defend to the death that their are white “africans” but wanna act like black people didn’t exist in Europe before 1980
According to that article, they didn't have the correct documentation for her and they reportedly had her begging, right? I realize that they wouldn't have figured it out if she wasn't a little white girl, but it doesn't seem like she was in healthy conditions. I'm not sure I'm understanding your post, are you saying they didn't take that kid? Or are you just pointing out that they only noticed because she was white?
OK but srsly since your cluelessness isn’t hostile, I suppose I’ll take the time to answer (i.e., repost the content I’ve already blogged, JFC)
Just a smattering of facts about the history of adoption no one knows/is willing to face is sufficient to educate most sentient beings, so here’s a handy dandy timeline: everything from the official expulsion of ALL Roma from the domain of the Church in 1568 to the systematic kidnapping and dilution of bloodlines of Romani children forced to work as farm laborers, mass incarcerated in state ‘orphanages’ in the hundreds of thousands.
Fun fact: the ethnocidal agenda against the Roma actually set modern adoption industry standards by falsifying records of proceedings so birth parents can never find where their children are placed! Under the auspices of the Catholic church, children were mass abducted from their living, breathing families — Romani parents who opposed this were declared “insane” and locked up in mental institutions. This continued til the fucking 1970s, and TO THIS DAY the spearheading organization still refuses Romani adoptees access to any of their records that would help them find birth families.
It doesn’t seem you know anything about transracial/ethnic adoption and antiziganism, so do some reading (as referenced & even hyperlinked before, Tobias Hübinette’s an excellent place to start).
Clearly you’re not aware of the centuries of racist propaganda of Christian children “kidnapped and sacrificed for ritual murdering” by Roma or Jews. You’re not aware these completely bullshit rumors provided a convenient excuse for white supremacist massacres, pogroms, and persecution.
And I say ‘completely bullshit’ bc guess what: we’ve seen all this before. 2008 an Italian Roma community was accused of kidnapping a white baby, which ignited rampant police brutality against not just the community but Roma people all over the country. Surprise surprise? The accusation turned out to be false.
Do Roma children biological or adopted grow up in the best of conditions? Of course not, white supremacists have seen fit to reduce them to begging and exile while systematically stealing generations upon generations and wiping out their culture.
But if your overriding concern’s still blondie being ‘better off’ outside her Roma community, then score one more sucker for the White Savior Industrial Complex.
p.s. They are illegally registering Romani children to this day even in countries as “progressive” (LOL) as Sweden. Also this day: when Romani mothers are arrested for begging, European police frequently take the healthiest among their children and place them for adoption with white Christian families.
History matters. You’re welcome.
speaking of sweden as the “worlds most democratic country” is fucking hilarious since they still register people based on ethnicity (including minors and 2 year olds as seen in the link above). after WW2, sweden set out to “save” people from the camps. know what they did? picked up swedes, danes and norweigans, even after the official document was changed to allow them pick up jews, poles, etc. then they dumped the jews and the poles and other unwanted people while rescuing the ethnic “pures”. they had a eugenics institute up until the 60s where they measures skulls and shit. democracy my ass.
though I would clarify that Sweden’s institutionalized eugenics (if not the infamous institute itself) continued up til early 2013, with the forcible sterilization of trans* people in an intersection of transphobia with the longstanding habit of sterilizing the mentally “unfit.”
#where is your scandiphilia now
Page 1 of 58