Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
And of course, isn’t that new show ‘the new normal’ about two white cis gay men? hmph.
I kept beating the drum on this when people were painting DADT as a “white gay male” issue when black lesbians and bisexual women were the ones disproportionately being discharged under the policy. QWOC (esp. black) families are more likely to be in poverty too. Nobody seems to want to address that. Every issue impacting queer people, even the ones people think are a waste of time or w/e impact QPOC that much worse due to intersectional concerns.
We need to take care of all our queer families, not just the class and race privileged ones that fit some ridiculous “nuclear” ideal.
2,691 notes (via dickensian-werewolf & biyuti)
OECD statistics show that the child poverty rate in the U.S. is nearly double that of Korea, with 20.6 percent of American children living in poverty, as opposed to only 10.5 percent in Korea.
Moreover, there were 400,540 children separated from their parents and living in the U.S. foster care system in 2011. Of these children, 104,236 were eligible and waiting for adoption, and another 58,000 lived in institutions.
On the other hand, there were only 16,523 Korean children living in institutions at the end of 2011, according to the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
So why do we insist on sending our children away to live with foreigners? Who brainwashed us into believing that everything is better in America?…Korean adoption agencies owe American children an apology. For every child they send there, they steal a potential home from an American child. How sorry they should be for hurting American children in that way and for being complicit in the lie that international adoption ― in the way that it is currently practiced ― is a service that puts children’s needs in any country first.Jane Jeong Trenka for the win. Again.
37 notes (via hyunsooklee)
Here’s a hilarious Helen Keller joke!
Do you know what no one saw or heard coming?
Helen Keller’s radical socialist activism for the rights of the poor, women, the disabled. And so people ignored and belittled her politics. They argued a deaf, blind person could not know what she was talking about. And so they reduced her to the safe story of a young girl who overcame disability, and nothing else.
Wait I mean haha she was blind! How funny.
14,912 notes (via analogbrain & lizardsfromspace)
p.s. Funny how folks are tossing out allegations of everything from OCD to autism to gross generalizations of mental illness
but somehow no one ever stops to point out that Adam Lanza was a class-privileged able-bodied white male
when it is the latter mass of privileges that have time and time again proved to define a serial killer’s profile, NOT the former spectrum of disability or illness.
-Vinnie Paz, from Jedi Mind Tricks-
3,743 notes (via dickensian-werewolf & skullfuck-you-deactivated201302)
- obama [black president] giving his stamp of approval on gay marriage
- my workplace, a prominent lgbt nonprofit in the area, throwing an impromptu celebration for the community with free champagne to celebrate the president’s support of marriage equality
- gay white teachers taking city kids of color to the castro [stops: pink triangle which commemorates gay victims of the holocaust - the human rights campaign gift store - harvey milk plaza] to learn about the gay community
- gay white principal of another high school [who i have met / who wouldn’t look at me until my boss forced him to] dressing up in drag for his high school’s annual drag show, in which gay and gay-friendly faculty all dress up and perform cutesy little numbers to promote a safe, hate-free school
- straight black boy coming with the gsa of his school to the other school’s drag show on a field trip because his brother is gay and he wants to learn more about the community - white teachers commenting amongst themselves that it’s great he’s challenging himself
- the drag show featuring short educational films in between performances - those films all featuring all-white casts - the teachers from the other school eating it up and calling the whole affair just amazing and so rad and educational
- urban youth of color [straight and queer] - learning about ‘[white] gay issues’ and the ‘[white] gay community’ and ‘[white] gay history’ - and then being told implicitly that they have to feel and demonstrate passionate emotional connections to those [white] things in order to be a proper ally
- another black boy in oakland executed by the cops yesterday only eighteen years old [he was a month from graduation] [gay white teachers didn’t know / but he looks like their students / only a bridge away]
- another black trans woman punished with incarceration and criminalization for surviving violence [gay white teachers didn’t know]
- another black trans woman in oakland murdered not even two weeks ago and the world doesn’t care [of course the gay white teachers, they didn’t know that either]
[rest in power: alan blueford, brandi martell.]
103 notes (via deepfriedcoconutbutter)
Page 1 of 4